Monday, May 19, 2014

Look What Was Born in Our Yard Today:

This Precious Fawn! 

Last night around 7:30 p.m., both my husband - Tony, and my daughter - McKenna noticed a Doe laying just outside from our kitchen window.  We always see deer in the yard and never get tired of watching them.

Then this morning around 6:00 a.m., I opened the blinds to the kitchen window and saw this beautiful precious fawn nestled next to her mama. 

This is the very first time we have ever had a fawn born in our yard (that we know of).  There were several signs that revealed sure enough, this little fawn was born within a few hours from 6:00 a.m.


 Needless to say, I haven't been able to get all my work done today!  The Doe and her Fawn have been here in the same area for almost 12 hours now!  As you can imagine, it has been a complete JOY watching the two of them all day.  Until ... 

I was talking to my mother on the telephone telling her all about the birth when I noticed a raccoon peering down into the area where the fawn was sleeping.  I immediately hung up the phone and ran to the dining room window to get a better look.   By that split second of time, the raccoon was approximately two feet from the fawn!  And... the Doe had the raccoon pinned with all four hooves!  The Doe was balancing on her hind legs while literally pounding that raccoon like an electic mixer!!  All I remember seeing is a puff ball of raccoon struggling to get free from underneath the hooves.  Once the raccoon was able to free itself it ran like a 'bat out of hell' up the path and over the fence!!  WHEW!  The fawn was ok.  So much so, that she slept throughout this entire "Wild Kingdom" adventure!  By this time, my heart was beating like you wouldn't believe.  Now it has been a few hours since this event and I am happy to say that  mother and fawn are doing well and enjoying each other's company.


Isn't this little fawn just adorable! 

Enjoy your day, Everyone. 

I am certainly enjoying mine!  (minus the raccoon drama - of course!)

Until next time,

Joan

8 comments:

  1. wonderful - Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that! Thanks for sharing this cute story with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful....thanks for sharing. I have deer, plenty of them, in my backyard, too...and they warm my heart. I just love their visitations. How special that they blessed you and your family with a baby!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, Joan! So beautiful! We have deer in our neighborhood as well, but I've never seen a baby deer being born. Such an awesome story! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. So cute! I'd love to scoop that 'lil baby up and cuddle her. She's such a cutie. And love her protective mom. Sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so precious! You have made my heart smile Joan ;o) Thank you ;o) I am so happy nothing happened when the raccoon came by! Mom protected her baby ;o) Big hugs and it's great to see you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, what a story and how marvellous to have witnessed all this and have a happy ending too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite the story! I had no idea that a raccoon might attack a bambi! It is so cute, i am so happy for you. I have not seen any newborns around here, I guess it could be any time now.

    ReplyDelete