Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Painting #14 - Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days - January 2014 Challenge

Vase + Face + Vase Face

Here is my painting for Day #14 of Leslie Saeta's painting challenge.  For this week, I have been studying/interpreting paintings by Picasso. 

Here is a photo I took from the book I was using entitled "Picasso"  Text by Robert Fisher, Edited by Theodore Reff and published by Tudor.


The name of this painting is:  "Face and Pitcher" 1937, Oil.  And the description reads as follows:  "An evocative juxtaposition of object and face, the latter half-transformed into an object itself."  Now is that totally cool or what.  The shadowing on her face is the shadow of the pitcher(vase).  Get it?  Vase Face!!  I was so thrilled to see that, and instantly had another 'light bulb' moment to paint my painting for today. 

I am calling my painting "Vase + Face = Vase Face". 

I'm telling ya, I am having TOO much fun with my Picasso Week!!  Tomorrow will start week three, and I am not really sure what I will paint for week three just yet. 

Hope you enjoy today's painting. 

Here are some of my all time favorite 'Vase Faces":

And these are just a 'few' of them!!  I absolutely LOVE to paint Vase Faces!!  Can ya tell?


Happy Painting!  Cheers!  and... Break a Bristle.

Joan

16 comments:

  1. oh, these are great but I think The Scream has to be my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I really do LOVE painting them. It's just so much fun.

      Delete
  2. Love your vase face to day Joan! Great palette! All that texture makes it look like an ancient discovery. And I love seeing your previous works. They feel like old friends to me.
    I love your Picasso exploration Joan. These are new discoveries for me, you are educating me! Thanks Joan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, Yes, it is really fun to pick an artist like Picasso and flip through the various paintings to see what sort of interpretation I can come up with. Thanks for your comments and for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Maybe I can make a crow vase? Your's are so cool! I love them ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey There Stacy, Oh! I think that would be great if you designed a crow vase!! It would be fun to see how you interpret and create it!! Thanks for stopping by!! Have a fun day.

      Delete
  4. Well, Joan, I love your vase paintings. They are so original and fun and gave me a big smile. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Irene. I think that is why I am having so much fun with them is because they are so different. I love being different. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Hi Joan, I love the colors in the background of this painting. They go so well with the red flowers... so warm and almost rust-like. The painting of flowers spilling out of the lady's head made me smile :) Your enthusiasm is wonderful. I'm kinda feeling overwhelmed but still plugging away. I didn't post my painting today, too pooped. See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey There Jaime,
      Thank you for your comments and for visiting me. That rust-like color is : Transparent Red Iron Oxide by Golden. I really love using it. It always seems to look different each time, so it is sort of a mystery color! Lots of fun. Sorry you are overwhelmed, we have all been there that is for sure. Yes, indeed...I don't know what it is about all my "Vase Faces"...but I truly LOVE painting them. They make me smile, too. TTYL.

      Delete
  6. I love the colors in the first piece here Joan...it's very cohesive and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. Thank you for stopping by, I always enjoy your visits :)

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed seeing your fun "face-vase" series! Glad I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandy,

      I'm glad you stopped by, too. Thank you. I don't know what it is about these "Vase Faces"...but I just LOVE creating them. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, Joan! Love this painting! This painting is so cool! So amazing how it all came together, as well. I love everything about it. So excited for you! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samara. It's always fun to hear from you. I am enjoying your Animal series in the 30 in 30! It is so great to become art pals because of this challenge!! The internet can be so rewarding!! Have Fun with Day #16.

      Delete