Sunday, January 12, 2014

My Painting #12 - Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days - January 2014 Challenge

A Wise Bird with a Touch of Class !


Here is my painting for Day #12 of Leslie Saeta's painting challenge.

I am continuing with my theme for this week to interpret and study various paintings by Picasso.  In one of my Picasso books, in addition to featuring many paintings, it also includes many of the sculptures Picasso made.  So, instead of  choosing a Picasso painting to study, I chose a Picasso Owl Sculpture entitled:  Owl with the Head of a Woman, 1953.  Painted terra-cotta 13 5/8" x 9 3/4" x 13 5/8".  I really liked his owl sculptures that featured a woman's face.  So, I thought, hmm, why not paint it. 

I was calling my painting "Bird Woman".  Bird Woman is appropriate in our household, because just the other day my husband called me "Bird Woman" because I totally love and enjoy feeding the birds!!  Her name has been changed to:  "A Wise Bird with a Touch of Class".  One of my blogger art buddies, Sheila over at Sheila's Corner Studio left a comment regarding this painting, and I loved her choice of words so much...I changed the name!!  Thanks, Sheila!

Oh, and after I finished this painting, my Daughter, McKenna, said that looks like a "Human-Bird".  Then she went and got one of her books called "Magickal Mystical Creatures" written by D.J. Conway.  Sure enough, there is a sections on Human-Birds!  I thought that was pretty cool.  Who would have thought.

Here is a close up of her face.  Notice her eyes.  I designed them to resemble Owl eyes.



Hope you enjoy today's 'very unique' painting! 

Happy Painting!  Cheers!  and ... Break a Bristle. 

P.S.  Oh, and I had to draw/sketch this painting in the dark by lantern because our power went out twice in one day!  But, thankfully, it is back on and the house is warm again!  Yipee!!  I must admit, it was fun drawing in the dark. 

Joan

17 comments:

  1. I laughed when I saw this painting, because that's what I feel like I'm turning into! I'm doing Leslie's Challenge also, and my theme is birds. So, I feel like I'm going to turn into one by the 30th day! Love looking at your paintings. You really seem to have fun while you paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Yes, I saw your bird paintings over at the 30 in 30! I remember commenting on "Opening Act". Your mixed media word is wonderful. Thanks for stopping by. And you are absolutely right -- I do have tons of fun while I am painting. It is so enjoyable and relaxing!
      P.S. If you do turn in to a Bird Woman.... make sure your wear a hat! It makes all the difference :)

      Delete
  2. Colorful, whimsical and so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carol.
      Thank you. Yes, indeed this one definitely gets classified under the creative category! That's for sure. Thank you for stopping by! Enjoy the 30 in 30.

      Delete
  3. Joan, this is really cool. Her expression is so ... uncanny. I swear I have gotten that look from birds before. Stern, severe, all knowing. Her head wrap is hilarious! Gives this wise bird a touch of class! I love your work Joan! You get a gold star for drawing in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey There Sheila,

      I like that "A Wise Bird with a Touch of Class"!! Thank you for always stopping by and commenting on my artwork, I totally appreciate all your comments. You should be a writer...you have excellent choice of words!!
      I like that so much!! She is now: "A Wise Bird with a Touch of Class". :)

      Delete
    2. Joan I am so honored! So glad you liked it :) Thank you for your kind compliments! Crossing my fingers that your power stays on! I might have withdrawls if you can't post for tomorrow :)) Happy painting to you!

      Delete
  4. She is wicked!!! I love her look! Her eyes! Her expression! Fantastic Joan! Well done, doing her in the dark! Happy your power is back on ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey There Stacy!

      I LOVE that !!! **Wicked** And you are right. She is! Thank you so much for your comments. Have a Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! This painting makes me smile. So very creative. Love her big owl eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey There Samara,

    Actually when I finished painting this one, I thought "oh my goodness' I sure hope I don't scare people!!" This piece is quite unique, indeed. I like Stacy's comment, too: "She is Wicked"!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. This will give you an idea of how much I liked your "wicked" comment. I pranced around the house proud as a peacock informing my daughter and husband..."Hey you guys...my "Wise Bird with a Touch of Class".... Is 'wicked'!!! They got a kick out of that.

      Delete
  8. I thought the very same thing as your daughter! I have a book of creatures and your bird woman reminded me of some of the fantastical creatures it has in it. Looks like you're enjoying the 30 in 30, it's been a mixed bag for me. Great to cyber meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jaime!

      Now that is pretty cool that you have a similar book, too. Yes, I must say, I am enjoying the 30 in 30 - it's the only time I really put effort to painting daily. Nice to meet you as well. Enjoy your day. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. So spooky! Wonderful face and I really like the scarf on her head. Beautiful blues in the background too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cindy,

    Thanks for visiting and commenting. Yes, she does have a certain spookiness to her, doesn't she. Just checked out your blog, and it is amazing how you document your painting process. That's wonderful. I always forget to! It's fun to watch the process.

    ReplyDelete