Sunday, September 29, 2013

My Painting #29 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days - September 2013 Challenge



Amazing!  We are at Day #29 of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days - September 2013 Daily Painting Challenge.  Only 1 more day to go!

The inspiration for today's Vase Face is from the current book cover of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I get all excited when I see a Vase Face from all sorts of inspiration!  This current book cover is absolutely stunning, so I used the colors and incorporated them into today's painting.  Here is a link to Amazon if you don't know what this book cover looks like.

 I also had time today for practicing my drawing!  My daughter, McKenna purchased a book of birds for me called "Birds - The Art of Ornithology" by Jonathan Elphick.

Here is the bird photo I was looking at:





And here is the bird I drew using graphite pencils.  I really like using these pencils because it is SO fun to blend!  (I ran out of space on the paper, so I couldn't make his tail feathers as long.) :o)





Hope you enjoy today's painting.

See you for Day #30.  I've got something pretty cool planned for the last day of this challenge!!  Can't wait to show you.

Happy Painting!  Cheers!  and ... Break a Bristle.

Joan


13 comments:

  1. fun how you found your colors for your charming painting

    your bird looks wonderful
    blending does have a wonderful effect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammie,

      Yes, blending is SO fun. I just love it. I would imagine pastels give this look too. I will have to experiment. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Joan, your vase face for today, is very dark, mysterious and magical! Love it! The bird you drew is amazing! You say you can't draw??? I think you should look closer! LOL! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey There Stacy!
      Thank you. Yeah, I guess in my mind - drawing is something that you can do without looking at a subject...you know ... drawing from memory. So, I think I will drop that theory and stand tall because all of you have helped me see this whole drawing thing in a different way! Sometimes its hard to teach an old dog new tricks! :O)
      Thank you so much!! Whew!
      Big Hugs right back @ cha!
      Have a super Sunday!

      Delete
  3. Oh Joan. I LOVE this one. Cobalt blue and turquoise! Two of my favorite colors. The flowers and leaves are gorgeous! Her lips, the shine of the gloss, and the shine on the vase... her eye, everything has a glamorous feel. Very Gatsby! Excellent work!
    And Joan I love your drawing. You have to stop saying you can't draw. YOU CAN! In fact I like your version better. I love all the curves yours has. the beak, body, the tail. So elegant and female. Wonderful Two times!
    Have fun on the last painting Joan! Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops....pressed the wrong reply button :o)

      please read my reply below!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra.

      Thanks for stopping by!!

      Have a fun Sunday!

      Delete
  5. Hey There Sheila,

    Yeah, this one was so much fun. When I first saw that book cover, I just knew it was going to be a Vase Face! Thank you for the compliments. Yes! I am going to stop with the can't draw stuff! Like I mentioned to Stacy in my comments above, I just had it in my mind that drawing was from memory. And it has been so very nice and refreshing to hear all you guys' comments that in fact no it isn't. So thanks to all of you on this one!! So, glad I brought it up, cuz now I can stop being so hard on myself!!!! All this feedback has been wonderful for me to realize this. Thank you again!
    Have a great day!
    Enjoy our last 30 in 30! At least for this month, right? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joan, Have you tried water-soluble graphite pencils...or maybe this is what you have used for your bird. I like them because you can us a little water and a small brush so they kind of look like a tonal watercolor in pencil color! I've been enjoying the 30 in 30 challenge and really enjoying meeting new blog artist friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! I will have to look into the water soluble pencils. No, I haven't hear of them before. Me, too - this 30 in 30 has been a lot of fun. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Love the Great Gatsby Face Vase. First of all, I love the book and the first movie. Have not seen the new one. Thanks for including the link to the book cover. gorgeous bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liana! We need to Netflix the movie! Haven't seen it yet. But now that fall and winter are approaching, it will be a great time to have more movie nights.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete