Friday, September 27, 2013

My Painting #27 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days - September 2013 Challenge



Okay!  We are at Day #27 of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days - September 2013 Daily Painting Challenge.  Only 3 more days to go! 

Here is another Vase Face.  I used only black, gray and white acrylics for this one.  Didn't want it to have any other colors.   This one is in the style of Picasso as well. 

Each day during this 30 in 30 challenge, I really enjoy visiting my 'favorite' artists.   One of my favorites is Samara over at SamDoum Art.  For the entire challenge, Samara has been completing Kaleidoscope Ink Paintings.  Her kaleidoscope paintings are beautiful, delicate and  very detailed.  When you look at all of her drawings in a group, you can just imagine what it would be like to actually view them in a Kaleidoscope!  Well, in one of her replies at her blog she was saying how fun and relaxing they are to paint.  So... hmm... I thought I would give it a try because fun and relaxing sounds wonderful.  She also mentioned that her designs are not planned ahead of time - just a spur of the moment painting.

So I pulled out a set of markers and a journal and began my quest.  And Samara is absolutely correct!  This was a very fun and relaxing experience.  However, as you can see by my drawing below....I believe it will be 'back to the drawing board' for me.  In fact, I know it will.  I did however get the biggest laugh out of my attempt. (and mind you, this was an honest attempt :o) My verdict:   This is the silliest kaleidoscope drawing I have ever seen! (not to mention, it hurts your eyes just looking at it!!)   But - it was oh so fun and very relaxing to do!  It was fun just going for it!  Not worrying what the outcome was going to be!





You will have to check out what real kaleidoscope drawings look like over at Samara's blog.  I'm tellin' ya ... they are beautiful. 

See you for Day #28. 

Happy Painting!  Cheers!  and ... Break a Bristle.

Joan

7 comments:

  1. I love the black and white vase Joan. Samara's Kaleidoscopes are amazing! I love her painting style too in her portraits.

    You know, I really like your kaleidoscope. Don't sell yourself short!! It's interesting and so you with the face in it an all. I like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so cool Joan! Thanks so much for trying it! Okay, so it doesn't look like my kaleidoscope drawings, but it's still very beautiful and I like it very much! :) Don't feel bad if it doesn't come out like mine because I think it was a very succesful attempt. It doesn't have to look like mine b/c you have your own unique style and your style is just as beautiful as mine. There is a certain type of energy about this drawing which is a unique quality about it all of it's own. I see a lot of energy in this drawing (with the yellow zigzag lines, for example, which kind of remind me of lightning bolts). I also see th petals of a flowerformed by the black dashed lines and the beautiful blue outline. Really gorgeous Joan! And I loooooove the faces that you included in it. They are your signature. And that is how everyone will know that it is a Joan painting withought looking at the actually signature on the painting. They will just easily be able to recognize your work. I really love your interpretaion on what I kaleidoscope painting should look like. It truly is beautiful Joan.

    Oh, And your discision to use black, grey and white acrylics was also a cool idea. I think this vase painting is one of my favorites of yours. This vase painting is a very successful piece as well. Nice work Joan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samara, thank you SO much for all these lovely comments. I truly appreciate how kind and sincere you are regarding my attempt to draw a kaleidoscope design. It won't be my last because they are extremely fun and relaxing to draw!! When I started, I forced myself to NOT look at yours because I didn't want to be influenced and copy you. So, when I try again, I will do the same thing.
      This 30 in 30 challenge has been so fun and I have enjoyed meeting such wonderful gals like yourself!!! Thank you again, Samara as I truly appreciate all your words of encouragement and support.

      Delete
  3. Joan I absolutely love how you have done her nose! It looks as if we are standing above her looking down just a bit. And that is how it would be if she were a real vase on a table. I love her expression too, it so matches the color scheme! Do you remember that movie? I can't think of the name right now, but Reese witherspoon was in it. They lived in the 50's in a TV show, the boy went into his favorite show and everyone was in black and white. Joan Allen was his Mom, and she had a flat deadpan look until she discovered colors, and then she started to smile. Pleasant ville! That's it. That is what your vase reminds me of. It was a perfect world, and everyone was supposed to be happy, but perfect is boring... and they needed a little wild unexpected color to jazz things up. Hey, just like your kaleidoscope huh! Perfect is not what a drawing like that should be. The best part of one of those, is watching all the colors fall together and mingle in different ways and the viewer has no control over that. I love Samara's work too! Beautiful exploration of an idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sheila, it's enjoyable for me to read your take on the different paintings I create. You are right...I can see that now... it does look like we are standing above her. I have never seen that movie - will have to Netflix it. I agree, Samara's kaleidoscope designs are beautiful and what an awesome idea to draw them! You will have to try one too...as they are really relaxing and fun.

      Delete
  4. First, I have to say, your grey, black and white painting is stunning! Sometimes, you don't need color. I have tried to do a painting like this and just can't seem to accomplish it!!
    Your kaleidoscope drawing is wild! Really cool! Seriously! Don't be so hard on yourself!
    Thanks for your kind words about my baby picture ;o) Sorry you didn't win anything! I feel bad afterwards on giveaways! LOL!
    I have painted a Queen and King before, but I can always do another ;o)
    Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy! Yeah, this Vase Face just wasn't calling out for lots of color.

      I do want to try another kaleidoscope drawing and see how the second one turns out. This one is wild - that's for sure! :o)

      It will be fun to see a new Queen and King Crow couple! I will look forward to that.

      Have a super fun day and thank you so much for always stopping by and visiting!

      Delete