Thursday, September 26, 2013

My Painting #26 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days - September 2013 Challenge

Here we are at Day #26 of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days - September 2013 Daily Painting Challenge.  Only 4 more days to go!  WhooHoo!

And again - for today's painting, I just had to go back to my "Vase Faces".  For some silly reason, I love painting Vase Faces!  Go figure!


I think I will call this one "Samatha".  She kinda reminds me of back in the day when I was younger, much younger and my family and I watched "Bewitched" with Elizabeth Montgomery!  Growing up, I loved that show! 

I have been contemplating on whether or not to learn how to draw.  I truly love just 'going for it' and putting paint to canvas; however, there is a part of me that does wish I knew how to draw.  I am taking art lessons, and the other day I was asked to draw a bird...honestly... I felt lost - I couldn't draw the shape of a bird from memory because I had to look at a photo first.  This kinda bothered me because the shape of a bird should be simple.  So, instead of fighting it, I am going to embrace drawing (at least for the time being).  I do have a couple beginner books stashed away someplace, so I will start with those. 

While eating lunch today, I was looking at the October 2013 issue of National Geographic.  They are calling this issue "The Photography Issue". 

Here is a photo I took from the magazine.  This giraffe photo was featured as a two page spread.  This beautiful photo was taken by Joel Sartore.  You can view more of his amazing photography at:  Photo Ark.





I really loved the giraffe on the right side of the page!  He practically takes up the entire page, and there is just something so cute and silly about this giraffe!  So here is my graphite drawing:





I did have a lot of fun drawing this giraffe.  I think I will draw more this way - by looking through magazines and see what catches my eye as well as dusting off those beginner books.  (then hopefully, next time I am asked to draw a simple figure - I will know how.)   And the beauty of this new experience is... if I don't like it -  I can stop at any time. 

Well, anyways... hope you enjoy today's painting.

See you for Day #27!

Happy Painting!  Cheers!  and ... Break a Bristle.

Joan

12 comments:

  1. Haha the photo of the giraffe is genious and too cute! And how I love what you did with it...amazing dwawing out of it! Nice idea to draw out of a magazin...I have to give it a try....I can totally uplift my drawing skills ;) ♥ Conny
    http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Conny! Yes, I thought that photo was genius too! Photography is an awesome art too!!

      Delete
  2. Love your painting and it does have a "Bewitched" feeling about it! I like all of your lady paintings. They catch my eye in the thumbnails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liana!

      Just looked at your painting for today as well. Oh my! Beautiful tulips! Amazing Talent you have!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love her twitchable- witchable little nose! And I love the abundance of flowers! So pretty and perfectly placed! Your tall friend is awesome too Joan! Great job! Pinterest has a lot of good tutorials on drawing. I have some on my Art Education board. But there are a bunch more I want to add. I soooo need to improve my drawing skills. kudos to you for striving to be better! I wanted to do a giraffe for my friend. I have several photos saved of the cute babies, and some with mama's. But I think that is a three day painting, I think. I think you have perfectly captured his playful attitude! Awesome!
    Soon enough we will be taking the victory lap Joan! Enjoy playing today! Oh - I added your link to my friends list on my site :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Sheila. I will definitely check out the drawing tutorials! Thank you also for all your awesome, supportive, encouraging comments! Like you, I am self-taught and its so fun to have people cheering you on! Have fun with Day #27.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Very nice Giraffe Joan! It's so cool to see your work in a different medium. And what do you mean you can't draw? That giraffe looks like a drawing to me, and a very nice drawing at that. You are really good Joan. Don't doubt yourself. It's always good to develop your talent further as all artists should but please never say that you can't draw b/c this giraffe is proof that you can. Beautiful work Joan, on both the giraffe and the vase face. I really enjoy your work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Samara,

      But it is really drawing when you have to look at something? I simply cannot draw from the top of my head. I always have to look at something. Thank you for the words of support as well as encouragement!! I am very, very good at doubting myself, just ask my husband and daughter. I guess maybe there are several facets to drawing, right. I guess to feel more confident, I just need to keep at it. So glad we have met via the 30 in 30!
      Thanks again.

      Delete
  5. Amazing work, my friend! Happy PPF and greetings from Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool !! All the way from Brazil. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words, too.


      Delete
  6. Hey Joan ;o) Vase Faces are your "thing"! They are you! Embrace it! It's like me and my crows! Your Vase Faces are brilliant! Samantha is fun! Love the dark eye!
    Your giraffe is excellent!! Have fun drawing! Just to let you know, if there is something I really don't know how to paint, I always look at pictures. It's like getting inspiration. Don't put yourself down for looking at pictures!
    Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey There Stacy! Yep... I think you are right. I SO love to paint and create Vase Faces!! Just can't help myself. So, I am going to Embrace them and keep 'em coming!
      Thank you for all these kind words!! Okay...I won't worry about 'looking at pictures'.. for some reason I had it in my head that I shouldn't. It's always good to learn from others about such things, so thank you.
      TTYL
      Hugs right back @ cha!

      Delete